Sign-Up for IVMF Updates

Subscribe to our email newsletter, reports, and releases to get the latest IVMF news and research.

• Home
  • Celebrating 240 Years of Elite Fighting – Happy Birthday Marines

Celebrating 240 Years of Elite Fighting – Happy Birthday Marines

November 10, 2015

Before PatrolWritten by – Jeff Cleland, Director of Innovation and Operations within the Community Engagement team at the IVMF.

November 10th, 2006 – We were in a small village outside of Fallujah, Iraq where I sat in the window of a bombed out house. With a 240g on one side of me and a radio on the other, my team leader and I shared a tuna package as the rest of our squad caught some rest after a long day of foot patrols. I often think back on those days and about the level of trust we had in each other. Marines come from different areas of the country, different socioeconomic backgrounds, different life experiences, etc.- but we put our lives in each other’s hands daily. The Marine Corps has a unique way of bringing people together; they beat you up, break you down, and build you back up into a family with an inseparable bond.

Even with the IED’s, snipers, shortage of food and water, and not showering for months, I wouldn’t trade those days with my brothers for anything.

Happy 240th Birthday Marines and Semper Fi.