Community of Practice – Scholarships
Currently Accepting Applications
Each year the Community of Practice offers two scholarships opportunities for Coordination Centers and community providers to further support professional development and build organizational capacity. Applications are currently being accepted through March 31, 2023.
Marvin Freeman, Jr. Spirit of Compassion Scholarship
In the summer of 2017, Eastern Carolina Human Services Agency (ECHSA) and the entire AmericaServes community lost team member, Marvin Freeman, Jr. In honor of Marvin’s compassion, positive spirit, and commitment to helping veterans through his work at the NCServes-Coastal coordination center, the Marvin Freeman, Jr. Spirit of Compassion Scholarship was created to support opportunities for members of the National Community of Practice.
Freeman Spirit of Compassion Scholarship Application
- 2018 Onslow Community Outreach Homeless Shelter: SOAR Training
- 2018 Legal Assistance of Western New York: National Coalition for Homeless Veterans Annual Conference
- 2020 ServingTogether: IDEO courses
- 2020 Cohen Clinic: Effective Grant Proposal Writing Certificate
- 2021 Veteran Services of the Carolinas: Motivational Interviewing
- 2022 Veterans Bridge Home: Nonprofit Team Management Certification Program
Janene McGee Champion for Change Award
In spring 2020, Mecklenburg County, the state of North Carolina, and the broader veteran community lost fellow veteran and passionate advocate, Janene McGee. In additional to leading the county Veterans Services Office team, Janene also championed several collaboratives addressing homelessness and suicide prevention. In honor of Janene’s incomparable spirit and advocacy for the military-connected community, a scholarship was created to support community providers.
McGee Champion for Change Award Application
- 2021 Catholic Charities of Charlotte: Trauma Informed Care Training
- 2022 New York Council on Problem Gambling: Problem Gambling Conference