Alan Llanas: Risk and Compliance Project Manager at Amazon

Alan LlanasMaking the transition from the United States Army to the private sector was one of the more stressful times I have experienced in my adult life, especially at the beginning of a pandemic. Serving my country as a first-generation America was one of the best decisions and is the most rewarding job I ever had the privilege of doing.

In 2019, I made the difficult decision to separate and apply for roles in the supply-chain industry. As I knew that I wanted to hang up the uniform, I devoted as much time as I could to fine-tuning up my LinkedIn account and resume while trying to find programs that could give me an edge in my search for a new vocation. I heard of IVMF’s Onward to Opportunity (O2O) program from a former colleague of mine. He recommended the O2O program to give me the tools to study for the PMP and Agile certifications that will help me standout when applying for a new career.

When I met the Fort Campbell O2O Program Directors, Cliff Yager and Karen Douglas, I saw how much they were willing to go the extra mile to provide opportunities for the transitioning service members that wouldn’t be known to most service members.  I took advantage of the opportunity to attend networking events and meet several guest speakers from various industries and ask questions to not only hear and learn from their stories, but gain tips on applying for a job, gaining referrals, and learning how to interview for that particular company. In my cohort, I worked to assist fellow Logistics Officers and NCOs grow their network as I grew mine and pass the best tactics, techniques, and procedures from what I learned.

At the very beginning, Cliff provided a short notice networking opportunity with multiple companies in Nashville. I met many veterans who were willing to help me in my journey.  By combining my past experience with my project management and Agile training, while networking with multiple Amazonians who were or had family in the military, helped me be successful in my search. I owe my successful transition and continued success to the O2O program and the mentorship I received from Cliff and Karen throughout the program. Words can’t express my gratitude to you both.