Sign-Up for IVMF Updates

Subscribe to our email newsletter, reports, and releases to get the latest IVMF news and research.

• Home
  • IVMF’s Lyon honored with Thirty under 30 award by FSU

IVMF’s Lyon honored with Thirty under 30 award by FSU

May 22, 2012

Jared Lyon, national program manager for the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities and EBV-Families—operated by the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University (IVMF)—was honored as part of Florida State University’s first ever-class of Thirty under 30 at its Young Alumni Awards Reception May 18. The award recognizes the achievements of FSU’s young alumni who have displayed outstanding accomplishments and contributions to their professions, communities, society and the university post-graduation. Lyon is a 2011 alumnus of FSU.

lyon“It is a true honor to receive this recognition from the FSU Alumni Association. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to FSU for both my personal and professional development,” says Lyon. “As an undergraduate at FSU, I was able to discover my passion for advocacy on behalf of America’s military veterans, and my experiences at FSU prepared me for my current career at Syracuse University. FSU helped me land my dream job, where I now have the distinct pleasure of helping veterans and military families achieve their dream of entrepreneurship as a true path forward post-service.”

At the IVMF, Lyon manages, coordinates and administers the EBV and EBV-Families programs, in addition to the EBV-Technical Assistance Program (EBV-TAP). A veteran of the U.S. Navy, he earned a bachelor’s degree in social science from FSU in December 2011. At FSU, he served as president of the Collegiate Veterans Association (a Student Veterans of America chapter), president of Sigma Phi Epsilon men’s fraternity and co-chairman for the Student Veteran Film Fest planning committee. He was a Garnet and Gold Scholar, a Ruck Scholar, a Seminole Torchbearer, a voting member on FSU President Eric J. Barron’s Veterans Center Advisory Board (on which he still serves) and served on the search committee for the Veterans Center Director. In November 2011, Lyon was named National Student Veteran of the Year by the Student Veterans of America, a coalition of student veteran groups on college campuses across the nation and overseas. In addition, he serves as vice president of housing for the Sigma Phi Epsilon New York Alpha Alumni Volunteer Corp. and is a volunteer advisor for the SU Student Veterans Club.