- Military Times/ IVMF Snapshot Polls of the military and veteran community – https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/military-times-ivmf-snapshot-polls
- The Employment Situation of Veterans
- IVMF “Mission: Better Together” toolkit
Although unimaginable just a few short weeks ago, today all of us face the reality associated with navigating the uncertainty and anxiety associated with the COVID-19 global health crisis. Like you, all of us at Syracuse University and the Institute for Veterans and Military Families are working hard to adapt to this evolving situation. That said, we’re writing to reaffirm that there is one certainty, even in these uncertain times. As before, you can be certain that we remain committed – first and foremost – to your well-being, the health and safety of your family, and your community.
Accordingly, while right now you are rightfully focused on your family and loved ones, we want to let you know that the IVMF stands ready and remains committed to supporting transitioning service members, veterans and their families. Whether it’s navigating community-based care and services, continuing your career or small business training, or seeking resources or insights to make better informed decisions given your unique circumstances, when you need us, we are there for you.
We are adjusting quickly to meet the changing demands of those we serve and will continue to share updates on our future programming, events, and new insights. While times remain uncertain, please know you are not alone.
As always, we can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- USA Jobs – https://www.usajobs.gov/coronavirus
- SHRM – https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/
- Disabled American Veterans COVID-19 Unemployment Relief Program – https://www.dav.org/covidrelief/
- IVMF’s Taking Care of Business During a Pandemic – https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/taking-care-of-business-during-a-pandemic/
- S. Small Business Administration – https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-newsroom/press-releases-media-advisories/sba-provide-disaster-assistance-loans-small-businesses-impacted-coronavirus-covid-19
- Amazon’s Delivery Service Partner Program – https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/74165/amazon-helping-veterans-start-delivery-businesses/
- PenFed Foundation Veteran Entrepreneur Investment Program CARES Act – https://veip.penfedfoundation.org/careact/
- Military One Source – https://www.militaryonesource.mil/coronavirus
- Covid-19 Military Support Initiative – https://covid19militarysupport.org/
- Association of Defense Communities & Blue Star Families Quick Links (includes COVID-19 Resources) – https://covid19militarysupport.org/resources/
- USA Cares – https://usacares.org/
- Administration for Community Living (ACL) – https://acl.gov/COVID-19
- Department of Veterans Affairs Caregiver Support Program: Information for Caregivers During COVID-19 – https://www.caregiver.va.gov/pdfs/CSP-Caregiving-During-COVID-19_TipSheet-23April-2020.pdf
- Elizabeth Dole Foundation Resources for Caregivers – https://hiddenheroes.org/coronavirus/
- Military Child Education Coalition – https://www.militarychild.org/covid19
- COVID-19 Information Affecting Education Benefits – https://benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/COVID19
- Veterans Education Success “Coronavirus-Related Legislation and Its Relevance to GI Bill and Other VA-Supported Students” – https://vetsedsuccess.org/coronavirus-related-legislation-its-relevance-to-gi-bill-and-other-va-supported-students/
- Student Veterans of America FAQ: How COVID-19 Impacts Military-Connected Students – https://studentveterans.org/images/pdf/GA/
- COVID-19 Task Force – https://www.coronavirus.gov/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/index.html
- US. Government – https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus
- US. Department of Defense – https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Spotlight/
- The Office of Financial Readiness – https://finred.usalearning.gov/News/COVID19-Resources
- US. Department of Veterans Affairs – https://www.va.gov/coronavirus-veteran-frequently-asked-questions/
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments
- US. Department of Homeland Security – Federal Emergency Management Agency – https://www.fema.gov/coronavirus/rumor-control
- US. Department of Labor – https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus
- National Governors Associations COVID-19 What You Need to Know – https://www.nga.org/coronavirus/
- Interfaith Community Services – https://www.interfaithservices.org/covid-19/
- Neuro Community Care COVID-19 Resources – https://neurocc.com/covid-19-resources/
- TRICARE – https://www.tricare.mil/coronavirus
- National Center for PTSD “Coronavirus (COVID-19): Resources for Managing Stress” – https://www.ptsd.va.gov/covid/index.asp
- TAPS – https://www.taps.org/covid
- Child Care Aware Fee Assistance and Respite Child Care Programs – https://www.childcareaware.org/fee-assistancerespite/
- Military OneSource – https://www.militaryonesource.mil/family-relationships/parenting-and-children/childcare/childcare-during-covid-19
- Guidepost Montessori – https://guidepostmontessori.com/programs/emergency-care
- Operation Home Front Critical Financial Assistance –https://www.operationhomefront.org/custompage?Id=6364
- Army Emergency Relief – https://www.armyemergencyrelief.org/covid19/
- Wounded Warrior Project COVID-19 Relief Program – https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/covid-relief
- PenFed Foundation – https://penfedfoundation.org/community-resources-for-veterans-and-service-members/
- American Red Cross – https://www.redcross.org/get-help/military-families/financial-assistance.html
During the uncertain and scary times we are living in right now, it’s nice to see veterans and businesses do what they can to help the community. Below are only a couple of stories we wanted to highlight to show that in this time of crisis, now more than ever, we are all in this together.
V-WISE graduates, Erica McMannes and Liza Rodewald with Instant Teams connect employers with qualified military spouse remote talent, and recently closed a $1.5M round with Squadra Ventures. Now, the company is releasing its new beta software early for free in order to help companies successfully transition to remote working.
In partnership with the Tampa Bay chapter of the United States Bartenders’ Guild, Horse Soldier Bourbon in St. Petersburg has launched a relief initiative for local bartenders who are out of work at the moment, tapping them to lead its new live-streaming speakeasy series.
“The bartenders across Tampa Bay, our backyard, are not only our partners but they are also our friends,” said Horse Soldier co-founder Scott Neil in statement. “We hope this virtual speakeasy gives them not just a little cash, but also a chance to engage in what they love to do and are probably missing most right now: crafting cocktails. That’s what bourbon is all about, bringing people together. Social distancing doesn’t mean we can’t virtually come together.”
Battle Sight has retooled its product line to make way for the development of the product, which is used to prevent infectious disease agents on the hands. Hand sanitizer has been in short supply in recent weeks, as it has been touted by health experts as an easy way to help prevent the spread of coronavirus disease.
More success stories from our military-affiliated business owners:
With support from the Kauffman Foundation, the IVMF is launching a multi-year study of veteran and military spouse entrepreneurs. The survey is designed to capture the motivations, challenges, and barriers for all military-affiliated individuals who have started a business, currently own/operate a business, or are interested in entrepreneurship. Our hope is to learn more and inform practitioners (SBA, VOBS, Financial Institutions, PTACs, corporations interested in collaborating with veteran-owned businesses, etc.), policymakers, and academic scholars about military-affiliated entrepreneurs. To learn more, please go to https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/milbizsurvey/.
See what Fellow graduates are doing to combat this public health crisis here.