Onward to Opportunity
"The credential gave me the boost I need to compliment my experiences with relevant education. Completing O2O-VCTP added more value to my resume than my 4-year degree. O2O-VCTP is exactly what veterans need to catapult their civilian careers." - O2O-VCTP, Distance Learning Graduate
About Onward to Opportunity
Onward to Opportunity, formerly known as the Veterans Career Transition Program is a free, comprehensive career skills program that provides civilian career training, professional certifications and job placement support to transitioning service members, members of the selected reserves, veterans, and military spouses. O2O partners with private sector companies committed to training and hiring military talent and their spouses earlier in the transition process. If you are not located near one of our on-base installations, we offer distance-learning opportunities through the online-only portion of the program.
HOW IT WORKS
All individuals interested in O2O complete a personal assessment to identify a training plan based on their existing military and non-military experience, civilian career interests, and post-military goals.
Training and Certification
O2O offers classroom and web-based training to accommodate all types of learners. O2O currently offer three career tracks: Customer Service Excellence, Information Technology, and Business Management. SEE CAREER TRACKS & COURSE OFFERINGS
Career Search and Placement
O2O empowers service members and their families with the knowledge, skills, and coaching needed to excel in their chosen career path while preparing them for specific job opportunities with employer partners.
- Active Duty Military — Any active duty service member who will transition from military service to the civilian workforce in the next 6 months with an honorable discharge status.
- Veterans — Any veteran separated or retired from the military with an honorable discharge status.
- National Guard / Reservists — Any active member of the National Guard and Reserve that is currently in a part-time status. If the service member is on active duty status in the National Guard or Reserve, they are subject to the active duty eligibility. See FAQ for full description.
- Spouses — Spouses of any active duty military service member, veteran, and active member of the National Guard or Reserve.
Benefits of Participation
- No-cost opportunity that does not utilize educational benefits
- Over 30 career tracks available
- Industry recognized credentials
- Job specific interview preparation and matching
- Comprehensive career coaching and placement services
Currently located at:
Jacksonville, North Carolina
San Diego, California
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
El Paso, TX
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Fort Carson, Colorado
Watertown, New York
Southeastern Virginia & Northeastern North Carolina
Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM)
Fort Lewis, Washington
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
Joint Base San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
National Capital Region
National Capital Region
Navy Region Northwest
Northwestern United States
Pittsburgh, PA Region
San Diego Area, California
What Our Grads Have to Say About O2O
Anne Schons, U.S. Army
“O2O-VCTP is an asset to veterans and military spouses alike. It provides a solid foundation of networking, study skills, training, certification, and partnership with resume building and career coaching.”
Ashleigh Titre, U.S. Army Reserve
“I was looking for ways to get into the technology field and better my life overall, but the cost and time investment of doing so was out of my reach. I connected with someone on LinkedIn who introduced me to Syracuse University’s Veterans Career Transition Program. Fast forward four months, I landed an internship at Stanford Health Care. With the training through VCTP and testing for my A+ certification, I got the call that I was being offered a job by Stanford. With this position in Stanford healthcare’s IT department a new door has been opened up for me.”
Joseph Fazzina, U.S. Army
“This is the best program the military will ever offer to service members during their transition, because it provides actual material, experience, and free certifications valuable for the civilian world.”